(704) 494-9495

Request a Quote Today!

This is the final part in our series on commercial auto insurance. In the first two parts we discussed common vehicle types and business types that require business auto insurance. We also discussed several types of commercial auto polices and coverage types.

Today we will be discussing different types of federal and state filings that are required.

State Filing- A state filing is proof of insurance filed by the insurance company that are required by the state when hauling within the state lines.

Federal Filing– A federal filing provides the same proof of insurance when you are hauling outside of the state lines.

Below are some of the types of Federal and State filings for NC:


Form E- Proof that your policy meets the guidelines set by the state.

Form H- Proves that you have the correct amount of cargo insurance as required by state law.

MCS90- This is an endorsement on your commercial auto policy that provides proof of liability and cargo liability when you are required to have a Federal filing.

BMC34- This filing is submitted to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration(FMCSA) showing that you carry the correct amount of cargo liability.

BMC91- This filing proves that you have sufficient insurance as required to cross over state lines.


Most of these state forms can be filed online by your insurance company directly with the Safety and Fitness Electronic Records System(SAFER).

Several factors come in to play when determining what liability limits you need to carry and in some cases the amount of coverage needed for the items that you are hauling. Most common factors are the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle, radius that the vehicle is driven, whether you are crossing state lines, and what you are hauling.

If you have any questions as to what coverages you are required to have you can always contact the NC DMV directly or by contacting your insurance agent. As always you can call us directly at 704-494-9495 with any questions.